During the school holidays in the Gqeberha/Karoo area, the music team engaged with the Sunday School kids between the ages of 5-14 years by having a school holiday programme in the various congregations in the region.
The programme was customised depending on the time chosen to complete the planned outcomes and the availability of teachers and volunteers. The mornings started with a welcome, a prayer and the spiritual message for the day. Thereafter, the team commenced with the programme for the day.
In some of the districts, there were arts and crafts. The planting of fruit trees within the church grounds, choir/recorder practices and even visits from the fire department and the community police services.
Important topics such as bullying, forgiveness, celebrating holy and religious days on the church calendar, such as Thanksgiving were also discussed.
The main goals and objectives for the Sunday School holiday programme were the following:
- To produce changed hearts and lives.
- To keep our children safe during holidays.
- To empower them biblically, and to love God and His work.
- To instill moral values and a positive attitude.
- To surround our Sunday School children with love, and to be surrounded with friends.
- To build and foster healthy relationships between Sunday School teacher and child in a relaxed, informal and fun environment.
In conclusion, Sunday School is a creative, inviting course of basic training for young Christians- learning about God’s love.